A security guard is a person whose primary job is to take care of your safety plus that of your family and properties. He or she is an individual who is in charge of the traffic in and out of your compound. A security guard, also called a watchman/watchwoman (depending on the sex) keeps records of who comes to your place, at what time and for which purpose. When hiring a security guard, consider the following;
- Age – You should hire a young person and not an old man who will be sloppy in executing his duties. Not so young enough but a middle-aged person.
- Time of day – If you are looking for a security guard, then have it in mind that he or she will work for one shift- day/night. That calls for somebody to work on the other time
- Gender – When you hire a security guard, look into the preferred gender. If you’re recruiting for a corporate office security guard during the day, a lady is advisable. However, if it’s a night shift, then it won’t be prudent to hire a woman.
- Literacy – As I said above, a security guard keeps records of who came when, why, and the time they left. This includes other details like Id card number, car registration number etc. A security guard opens the gate for everyone and to do all that, some degree of literacy is needed.
- Height – Well, this might seem not sensible but, the candidate should have a commanding physical appearance. They should be tall, with an authoritative look. Not a timid small bodied person who can be cowed by any possible security threat.
- Alertness – You should hire somebody who is alert. Anyone who is keen and grasps small details to see any least change as soon as possible and report. They should be sharp.
However, it is advisable that you employ the services of a company. This means, you will be communicating directly with a security company, which will, in turn, deploy a security guard at your place and you pay the company at the end of the month. Using the services of a company has many benefits compared to employing one yourself. This includes,
- Training – Security companies give their employees some specialized training. This involves physical exercises, discipline, grooming, record keeping and they learn all their responsibilities as guards. This saves you time to hire, and any experiencing any negative experience.
- Administration – The security guard in your place will be directly answerable to his/her employer. In the case of any mistake, the company shall take their employee and give a replacement immediately. You won’t have a problem in recruiting.
- Insurance – Having a company to be in charge of your security is some form of protection. If in any case, some problem like theft takes place, then you will be compensated by the company. This is because it is their employee’s fault. Unlike if you employed the guard yourself, you will have nothing as payback.
However, in hiring the services of a company, you will need to dig deeper into your pockets. Companies charge more, and it’s expensive to hire them compared to hiring the security guard yourself.